Sunday, January 28, 2007

The Making of the Play

We're in "the room" right now, as it were, working on this new play about immigration and cross-cultural relationships. I mean, we're in a few rooms at the moment, since we're remounting stirring AND Joey and I are starting to rework LA FEMME EST MORTE or Why I Should Not F!%@ My Son. But most pressing for the next week is the immigration play, being written by the remarkable Saviana Stanescu...so we are generating lots of work in typical hippie collaborative style, trying desparately to avoid viewpoints, to add tools to the toolbox, to take a step away from the masses. Isaac talked me through some Joint Stock excercises a few weeks ago and we've been using some of those for development, as well as some other random planes, trains, and automobiles.

We conducted interviews a few days ago, with friends, loved ones, and partners...all people who are currently or have been involved in an international relationship (real or...phony). Here are some of my favorite things that have been blurted out...

"It's hard for me to have a relationship. I'm always gone."

"It's just married life. It's not that different."

"Around Thanksgiving we called up Mom. Drove to Vegas."

"What I actually did was help a felon get his citizenship."

"Correspondence was fierce."

"I can't work here. My life has come to a screeching halt."

"I don't regret that. I belive in marriage."

"I don't care about marriage."

"If it doesn't work out we'll get divorced. No big deal."

"We are something that exists on land, not just on the water."

"Christmas was hard. I miss you guys."

"She works at Starbucks. She's got a masters. We're waiting to get her papers."

"I know why tigers eat their young."

"I'm in New York because of you."

"Am I going to father a child for the price of a greencard? Is that the cost of being with you?"

"You're saying it's worth it, but you're not the one doing it."

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home